The Society for the Promotion of Equality and Wonderment (S.P.E.W.)
Upcoming Chapter Events
- Ongoing / The Red Suitcase Project / The Red Suitcase Project is an ongoing effort to support local foster children. Although our first official fundraiser ends on 3/22, donations will still be accepted afterward, and we’d welcome any help making blankets or putting together suitcases! Our project page will have all of the get-together dates open to everyone as well as any updates about the project. Also, for every donated blanket given to us (or fleece that we will turn into blankets!), we’ll be able to add a reading book to the suitcase that blanket goes into! (www.facebook.com/theredsuitcaseproject)
- April / Accio Books! and 221Bookdrive / We’ll be participating in the annual Accio Books! Bookdrive throughout the month of April! We’ll have several drop-off points around the lowcountry to collect children’s books. We’ll also be holding a 221Bookdrive at the Sherlock Holmes convention 221B Con being held April 13-14 in Atlanta, GA — our goal is to collect 221 books at the convention! For Accio Books, we’ll be making updates on www.charlestonHPA.blogspot.com. Keep an eye on http://221bcon.com/ for information about the 221Bookdrive or to register to attend the convention!
- April 28 / National Superhero Day / We’re planning to find a good-deeds way to participate in Superhero Day this year! Details haven’t been cemented yet, but as soon as they are, they’ll be posted to www.charlestonHPA.blogspot.com!
Our major accomplishments include:
- On October 28th,2012, members gathered to show their support at the annual Out of Darkness suicide awareness walk and to contemplate ways to help others beat the real-world dementor that is depression.
- In November of 2012, our members made 26 fleece-tie blankets for the Linus Project, a charity that gives homemade blankets to children in need!
- On December 15, 2012, we threw an End of the World Party and collected enough canned goods to provide 108 meals through the Lowcountry Food Bank!
- In January of 2013, members brought together their resources and ideas to set up The Red Suitcase Project, donating 5 suitcases before starting their first big fundraiser in February!
- From the middle of January through March 15th, members collected cell phones for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and eyeglasses for New Eyes for the Needy for our Operation Emergency Owl/Oculus Reparo! campaign. Exact numbers aren’t in yet, but so far we know we’ve collected at least 80 phones and 115 pairs of glasses!
Our Mission as an HPA chapter
We aim to use pop culture to bring people together to make good things happen! Our members are extremely excited about their fandoms (our three big ones are Harry Potter, Sherlock, and Doctor Who) and love the idea of using that excitement and creativity to come up with fun ways to help others.