Urgent: Sahel Day of Action
The Hunger Games are never truly at an end, as we all know. The only question is, where’s the next arena? Well, the Sahel region of West Africa looks like a very likely candidate, unless we can put a stop to it before it’s too late.
West Africa is facing a massive food shortage. Severe drought, dwindling pastureland, and a poor harvest have resulted in a severe food shortage in Sahel. According to Oxfam, more than eighteen-million people are at risk. It is estimated that more than a million children under the age of five will suffer from severe malnutrition in the upcoming year, due to this famine, and a year from now, it may only be worse. One of the real dangers in a crisis like this is that people quickly resort to selling or consuming the resources they need to survive. No one would watch their family starve while they still have grain in the house, but if all the seed is ground and eaten, where does next year’s harvest come from?
As always, Oxfam is responding to the crisis with efficiency and courage, but they simply can’t meet the demand by themselves. Together with their current partners, Oxfam hopes to provide more than a million people with aid, but that still leaves seventeen-million more. That’s where we come in. Today, Oxfam is raising awareness of the famine crisis in Sahel, and they need your help to spread the word!
What can you do? I’m so glad you asked!
- Tweet about it! Tell others and urge them to share. Use #Sahel2012
- Sign a letter to Secretary Clinton, urging quick response to the crisis.
- Read and share the infographic.
- Share, share, share. This is really about creating awareness, the more people know what’s happening, the more people will want to help.
- Learn more about the crisis, and how you can help, by checking out Oxfam’s website, and their West Africa blogs.
The only way that the Districts had any hope of defeating the Capitol was by banding together to act. Today, we’re doing just that, spreading the word to fight hunger in West Africa. As always, feel free to leave questions or comments below, and stay awesome!